To Help Us STOP NIAGARA
Like a Zombie, Niagara is coming back a FOURTH time, with a renewed request to take more than 228 MILLION gallons of water per year from the Albuquerque aquifer, which lies under all of Valencia County.
There is no “Los Lunas aquifer.”
The Albuquerque aquifer sustains all people and all living things in all of Valencia County, and in the entire Albuquerque Basin (from Cochiti to Socorro County).
In the middle of the desert,
in the middle of a drought,
OUR WATER is for PEOPLE,
not for PROFIT$.
What can you do?
(1) Email and CALL the Village Council. (Phone = 505-839-3840)
Tell them why you think they should NOT amend the water agreement with Niagara to give them 228 million gallons of water per year.
– Mayor Charles Griego – GriegoC@loslunasnm.gov
– Councilor Christopher Ortiz (District 1) – OrtizC@loslunasnm.gov
– Councilor Gino Romero (District 2) – RomeroG@loslunasnm.gov
– Councilor Cruz Munoz (District 3) – MunozCr@loslunasnm.gov
– Councilor James Runyon (District 4) – RunyonJ@loslunasnm.gov
(2) Come to the Village Council meeting (if you can) when Niagara’s request will be considered. We will be there, and we hope to see you. We will have NO to NIAGARA signs to share.
Their meetings are held at the Los Lunas Administration building (<< map),
660 Main St. SW, Los Lunas, NM.
(3) Attend the Village Council meeting online (if you can’t be there in person). The WebEx online meeting link and password for their meetings are posted on the Village website a few days before the meeting.
(4) Take our new water survey.
We will (once again) share the survey results with the Village Council before they vote on Niagara’s latest request for MORE WATER.
(5) Come help us make “NO to NIAGARA” signs for the Village Council meeting. We will provide poster board and marking pens (and you’re welcome to bring your own, too…) Email us for date, time, location and directions. (Valencia.Water.Watchers@gmail.com)
(6) Join our EMail List
Receive updates as soon as we have new information about the next moves.
(7) Sign Our “Say NO to NIAGARA!” Petition.
More than 3,000 people have already signed this petition we started last June. We will send ALL the signatures and comments (again!) to the Village Council before the meeting where they will decide on Niagara’s request.